Caramalized Onion and Bacon Holiday Stuffing
Rate this recipe for points
Elevate your Thanksgiving feast by adding this rich and delicious Caramelized Onion and Bacon Holiday Stuffing to your table. Featuring Dempster’s® Deluxe Brioche Style Pull Aparts Rolls, caramelized onions, bacon and herbs, this recipe is packed with fall flavours. It's the perfect accompaniment to any holiday dinner. Serves twelve.
- 12 Dempster's® Deluxe Brioche Style Pull-Aparts Rolls, cubed
- 1/4 cup (30 mL) butter, divided
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 tsp (10 mL) finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Melt half of the butter; toss with cubed rolls.
- Arrange in single layer on parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until lightly toasted; let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining butter in large skillet set over medium heat; cook bacon for 5 to 8 minutes or until golden and crisp around edges.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel-lined baking plate; set aside.
- In same skillet set over medium heat, cook onions and half of the salt and pepper for 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes or until starting to caramelize.
- Stir in celery, sage rosemary and garlic; cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until onions are caramelized and dark golden brown.
- Increase oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Toss together bread, caramelized onion mixture, broth, bacon and remaining salt and pepper.
- Spoon into greased 9-inch (23 cm) square baking dish.
- Cover with foil; bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil; bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.