Grilled Chicken Gyro Open-Faced Sandwich
Rate this recipe for points
This Grilled Chicken Gyro Open-Faced Sandwich is an easy and delicious lunch or dinner recipe. Dempster’s® White Bread serves as a tasty base for a satisfying blend of grilled chicken, fresh veggies and tzatziki sauce in this Greek-inspired dish. To turn up the heat a little, try adding chili flakes to the marinade. Serves six.
- 6 slices Dempster's® White Bread, toasted
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground pepper
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 leafy lettuce leaves
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped cucumber
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) tzatziki sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) crumbled feta cheese
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, lemon juice, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper; toss with chicken.
- Marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium-high; grease grates well.
- Place chicken on grill; immediately reduce temperature to medium heat.
- Cook, turning occasionally, for 15 minutes or until no longer pink inside.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before slicing thinly.
- Place lettuce leaf on each piece of bread; top with chicken, cucumber, tomato and onion.
- Drizzle with tzatziki sauce and sprinkle with feta cheese.
Tip: Stir a pinch of chili flakes into marinade for an extra kick.