Savoury French Onion and Gruyere Meatball Subs
Rate this recipe for points
Savoury French Onion and Gruyère Meatball Subs served on Dempster’s® Signature Gold Sausage Buns bring tantalizing taste to your table. The hearty meatball subs are topped with sweet and savoury caramelized onions and rich Gruyère cheese for full flavour in every bite. Serves four.
- 4 Dempster’s® Signature Gold Sausage Buns, split and toasted
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) finely chopped fresh chives, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) caramelized onions
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Mix together ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, 2 tbsp (30 mL) of chives, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper. Roll into 20 (1-inch/2.5 cm) meatballs.
- Arrange meatballs on parchment paper–lined baking sheet; drizzle with oil. Cook meatballs for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Preheat broiler. Assemble meatballs in buns with cheese and caramelized onions.
- Broil on a foil-lined baking sheet for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese starts to melt. Sprinkle with remaining chives before serving.
Alternatively, use store-bought frozen meatballs; cook according to package directions.
Add Dijon mustard to the sandwich if desired.
To make caramelized onions, cook 2 large onions in 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter with 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and sugar in a large saucepan set over medium-low heat for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and caramelized. Alternatively, use store-bought caramelized onions.