Spicy Sweet Potato and Black Bean Empanadas
Rate this recipe for points
Add some excitement to mealtime with Spicy Sweet Potato and Black Bean Empanadas. Dempster’s® 100% Whole Grains 12 Grains Bread with Chia Seeds and savoury Mexican-inspired flavours ensure this plant-based dish makes a satisfying appetizer or on-the-go lunch option. Pair it with your favourite dip for an even more intense taste. Serves 24.
- 24 slices Dempster's® 100% Whole Grains 12 Grain Bread
- 1 lb (500 g) sweet potatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lime juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) chili powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Toss together sweet potatoes, 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper.
- Arrange in single layer on parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and tender.
- Let cool completely.
- Toss together sweet potatoes, black beans, green onions, cilantro, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, and remaining salt and pepper; set aside.
- Using rolling pin, roll bread slices into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thickness.
- Using 4-inch (10 cm) round cookie cutter, cut out 24 rounds.
- Spoon 1 tbsp (15 mL) filling into middle of each round.
- Wet edges with water; fold over filling to enclose.
- Using fork, press and seal edges of bread.
- Brush empanadas with remaining oil; transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°F (190°C).
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.