Green Chili Chicken Burger
Rate this recipe for points
Say goodbye to boring chicken burgers with these homemade grilled chicken burgers packed with zesty Tex-Mex flavours.
- 4 Dempster's® Deluxe Gold Buns
- 1 1/4 lb (625 g) lean ground chicken
- 1 cup (250 mL) bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped pickled jalapeño peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each salt and pepper
- 4 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 poblano peppers
- 1 small red onion, sliced into 1/2-inch (2 cm) thick rounds
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) prepared tomatillo salsa
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) finely crumbled feta cheese
- Mix together ground chicken, bread crumbs, cilantro, egg, oil, pickled jalapeños, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper; do not overwork.
- Divide into 4 portions and shape into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick patties.
- Preheat grill to medium-high; grease grate well.
- Grill burgers for 5 to 7 minutes per side or until meat is cooked through and instant-read thermometer reaches 165°F (74°C) when inserted into centre of burger.
- Top each burger with slice of Monterey Jack cheese; grill for 60 to 90 seconds or until cheese starts to melt.
- Meanwhile, grill poblano peppers, turning occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender and charred all over.
- Grill red onion rounds for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until lightly charred and tender.
- Grill buns for 60 to 90 seconds or until lightly marked and toasted.
- Remove seeds and thinly slice poblano peppers.
- Assemble burgers in buns with grilled poblano peppers, red onions, avocado, salsa and feta.