Pizza Sloppy Joes
Rate this recipe for points
Two family favourites come together in these savoury Pizza Sloppy Joes. The open-face sandwich features Dempster’s® White Bread topped with a mix of classic toppings like saucy ground beef and pepperoni. Make it your own and add the veggies of your choice. Serves six.
- 6 slices Dempster's® White Bread, toasted
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 lb (500 g) ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sliced pepperoni, cut into strips
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced mushrooms
- 1 can (398 mL) pizza sauce
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; crumble in ground beef. Cook for 5 minutes or until browned; drain off excess fat. Add onion, pepperoni and mushrooms; cook for 5 minutes or until onion and mushrooms are tender.
- Stir in pizza sauce and green pepper; simmer for 5 to 7 minutes or until thick and saucy.
- Place toast on individual plates; top each piece evenly with beef mixture. Garnish with mozzarella and parsley.
Tip: Substitute your family's favourite pizza toppings for the green pepper and mushrooms, if desired.