Roasted Apple and Pumpkin Vegetarian Stuffing
Rate this recipe for points
Roasted Apple and Pumpkin Vegetarian Stuffing is the perfect dish for your holiday table. A blend of seasonal flavour favourites combined with cubed Dempster’s® 100% Whole Grains 100% Whole Wheat Bread creates a delicious and filling vegetarian side dish that everyone can enjoy. Serves six.
- 6 slices Dempster’s® 100% Whole Grains 100% Whole Wheat Bread, cubed (approx.)
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced pumpkin
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper, divided
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grainy mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Arrange bread cubes on parchment paper-lined baking sheet; bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly toasted and dry.
- Let cool completely and transfer to large bowl.
- Increase oven temperature to 400°F (200°C).
- Toss together apples, pumpkin, onion, 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil, and half of the salt and pepper.
- Transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheet; bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and tender.
- Toss together bread, roasted apple mixture, vegetable broth, pumpkin purée, sage, remaining olive oil, mustard, and remaining salt and pepper until well coated (mixture should be moist but not soggy; if necessary, add a few extra bread cubes).
- Spoon stuffing into greased 8-inch (20 cm) square baking dish; cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil; bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.