Vegetarian Beet Hummus, Pumpkin Seed and Pomegranate Toast
Rate this recipe for points
Vegetarian Beet Hummus, Pumpkin Seed and Pomegranate Toast makes a great lunch or mid-day snack. Dempster’s® 100% Whole Grains Ancient Grains with Quinoa Bread perfectly complements the earthy beet hummus spread and the cucumber, pumpkin seeds and pomegranate add crunch for tasty texture. This savoury snack also makes an appealing appetizer. Serves four.
- 8 slices Dempster’s® 100% Whole Grains Ancient Grains with Quinoa Bread
- 1 beet (about 6 oz/175 g)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt, divided
- 1 can (796 mL) no salt added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) tahini paste
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 baby cucumbers, sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pomegranate seeds
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Rub beet with 1 tsp (5 mL) oil and sprinkle with pinch of salt.
- Wrap in foil; bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until fork-tender.
- Let cool; peel and chop.
- In blender, purée chickpeas, chopped beet, tahini, lemon juice, cumin, garlic, cayenne, and remaining olive oil and salt.
- With motor running, slowly add 1 cup (250 mL) cold water, blending until light and creamy.
- Toast bread; spread 2 tbsp (30 mL) hummus over each slice of toast.
- Top with cucumbers, pumpkin seeds and pomegranate seeds.