Veggie Sandwich Christmas Ornaments
Rate this recipe for points
Add some festive flair to your holiday parties with these Veggie Sandwich Christmas Ornaments. Easy-to assemble and fun to decorate, these edible ornaments are packed with savoury flavour and creamy and crunchy textures on tasty Dempster’s® 100% Whole Grains 12 Grain Bread. They're ideal for appetizers or to bring some holiday magic to everyday snacks and meals. Serves four.
- 4 slices day-old Dempster’s® 100% Whole Grains 12 Grain Bread
- 2 oz (60 g) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) grated lemon zest
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 English cucumber
- 6 grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 yellow pepper, cut into strips
- Using 2-inch (5 cm) round cutter, cut out 8 rounds from bread slices (reserve bread scraps for another use).
- In small bowl, stir together cream cheese, pepper, lemon zest and salt.
- Spread over bread rounds.
- Cut two 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick rounds from cucumber; cut each round into quarters.
- Cut remaining cucumber into thin strips.
- Using toothpick, secure cucumber quarters to top of bread rounds to resemble Christmas ball ornaments.
- Decorate bread rounds "ornaments," with remaining cucumber strips, quartered grape tomatoes and yellow pepper strips.
Alternatively, use holiday cookie cutters to cut bread into shapes.
Cut remaining bread scraps into cubes to use for croutons, or pulse in food processor for fresh bread crumbs.